2019/2020 Edition : information to update soon

Course Structure

The University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro has developed a Preparatory Course for International Students that leads to access to a variety of educational programmes of the 1st Cycle Study (Graduation and enclosed Masters) and the 2nd Cycle Study (Masters).

Level A.1
Level A.2
Level B.1
Level B.2

How to apply

To apply for the Preparatory Course you must fill in the application form during the application period: to be defined.
Complete the online form and upload a copy of the passport and a Certificate that proves that you have completed the education necessary to enter higher education.
The application has a cost of 250 euros. You must pay this amount and upload the proof of payment in the application form.
After that and after evaluate your situation, UTAD send you a Letter of Acceptance that you must present at the Portuguese Consulate in your country (or near) to request the issuance of the Visa.

Important Information

1. Accommodations

You can have a room at the University Residences (depending on the rooms’ availability) during the period of your study at our university. The fees of two-bed room are € 120 (one hundred and twenty euros) per student, fees of three-bed room are € 80 (seventy-eight euros) per student. The monthly fees should be paid before day 8 of each month.
To book accommodation please send an e-mail to: international@utad.pt 

2. Tuition Fees

Please note that the fees for Academic Year 2018/2019 are € 2,500 (two thousand five hundred euros). Payment is due on the registration act.
You should pay your fees before you arrive in Portugal by bank-to-bank transfers if you wish. If you want to do so, please contact International Relations office to the following email: international@utad.pt.
Making arrangements for payment of student fees is just one part of the registration process to become a student at the University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro.
International students, requiring a visa to study in Portugal, should ensure funds are available both to pay fees and to cover living expenses while getting settled in Vila Real, as this is a requirement of current Portugal immigration rules.
Please be aware that the University is obliged to inform the Foreign and Border Service (SEF) about any student covered by the immigration rule who withdraws from the study program due to non-payment of fees.

3. Accident Insurance

Please do not forget that as an overseas student travelling abroad you will need to buy travel and health insurance. Policies can differ, though often will cover for lost or stolen possessions or for medical care. International students in particular should be careful to purchase travel insurance that is appropriate for their circumstances and not a standard policy for a Portuguese citizen.

a. Individual accident insurance at UTAD

All the students registered at UTAD benefit from a school insurance to cover personal casualties. All the injuries related with academic activities (e.g. laboratory experiments, study visits, etc.) are covered. The individual accident insurance is valid for the duration of the academic year. Every academic year it must be renewed with the registration during September.

b. Health and life insurance

Possessing a health and life insurance covering the whole Schengen Area is compulsory for international students studying in Portugal. Whether studying in your own country or abroad, students should protect themselves from the unexpected – accidents, illnesses, and theft can occur anywhere. Students traveling abroad might need international student health insurance to pay for medical bills and other expenses that can occur out of the academic daily life. Having a good international student insurance plan can provide a student with the protection they need to avoid large financial losses.

4. Visa request

To study or carry out research activities in Portugal, you need to request a visa to the nearest Portuguese Consulate/ Embassy of your city of residence. You should get information about the types of visa that apply to your case and how you should proceed to obtain it in the web portal of the Portuguese Communities Office.

Attention: the tourist visa is not suitable for citizens who will follow studies or conduct research during a period of more than 90 days and it is not possible to obtain another visa or change the visa type once in Portugal. Those requests/changes can only be made in the citizens’ home country according to the law in force.