Designation of the project | Innovation Platform for Vine and Wine – INNOVINE & WINE
Project code | NORTH – 01-0145-FEDER-000038
Main Objective | Vine and Wine
Region of intervention | North
Beneficiary | University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro
Date of approval | 03-03-2016
Start date | 01-04-2016
End date | 03-30-2019
Total eligible cost | € 5 293 984.76
Financial support from the European Union | FEDER – € 4 499 887,05
The Innovation Platform – INNOVINE & WINE (NORTE-01-0145-FEDER-000038) is a multidisciplinary project that seeks to involve researchers in the areas of soil, climatology and climate change, ecology, viticulture, physiology, microbiology, oenology, engineering and economics. The research strengths of the University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro and innovation competencies aim to establish strong and productive relationships with global R & D performance organizations that share similar research interests.
The platform integrates four main lines of research:
(i) the study of interactions between soil and climatic conditions and vines at the vineyard scale;
(ii) the implementation of climate change adaptation strategies for wine-growing regions;
iii) the development and optimization of oenological practices that promote the sustainable production of wines of highly differentiated quality, oriented to the market of denomination of origin;
iv) study of the competitiveness of the sector through investigation of the vineyard, market and consumer systems, international trade and territorial base activities associated with vine and wine, such as wine tourism and gastronomy.
With these objectives the platform aims to:
– achieve economies of scale;
– to obtain relevant scientific and technological results for the sector;
– promoting the production of wine, economically and environmentally more sustainable;
– encourage the inclusion of stakeholders in the decision-making process to encourage the development of applied science and increase the impact of the platform’s activities;
– to boost the incorporation of high levels of knowledge and innovation in the wine industry.