ENERGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY
The University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro (UTAD) is a Public University Institution and a member of the National Scientific and Technological System, with a strong connection and presence in the territory of inland northern Portugal and its local agents.
UTAD defines itself as a democratic place of culture and free thought, both in the sociological sense and in philosophical and humanistic terms. As an entity for the production and dissemination of knowledge, but also as a place for the construction and application of principles and values with an impact on the ethical, civic and social levels, UTAD’s priority is to create an academic environment that is characterized by reflective and critical thinking, by valuing creativity and innovation, and also by social and environmental responsibility.
Aware of the need to incorporate environmental ethics into its activity, UTAD decided to create an EcoCampus and sets an example by committing to ecological sustainability through physical operations, academic and research programs, as well as the sports, cultural and technological aspects of the University Campus. In this context, the environmental commitment is based on a policy and agenda of environmental sustainability, involving the entire academic community and users of the Botanical Garden in practices of continuous improvement of environmental performance, based on the fulfillment of the following commitments: Campus planning and zoning; Sustainable new construction; Energy efficiency and Renewable energy sources; Air quality; Resource and waste management; Water conservation and effluent management; Car traffic management; Ensuring pedestrian or non-polluting circulation; Green space management; Environmental training and academic community participation.
UTAD’s sustainability policy is articulated with the 17 Sustainable Development Goals defined in the “Agenda 2030” of the United Nations (UN), expressed in the document “Transforming our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
In the context of sustainable development, the University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro also assumes the commitments of:
- Comply with all applicable legislation, regulations and standards, as well as other requirements and compliance obligations subscribed.
- Continuously improve the integrated management system, Environmental and Energy Performance.
- Ensure the availability of information and all necessary resources to achieve objectives and targets.
- Encourage the purchase of energy-efficient products and services and design for improved energy performance.
- Promote sustainability in its four fundamental pillars: the ecologically sound, economically viable, socially just and culturally diverse.
- Ensure the protection of the environment, including the prevention of pollution in the Eco Campus.
- Promote natural spaces as a means of balancing Greenhouse Gas emissions.
- To contribute to waste disposal and an efficient use of natural resources.
- To contribute to decarbonization and the improvement of environmental performance.
- Ensure access to training and information that contributes to a sustainable future.
This Policy is regularly reviewed, updated where necessary, and communicated to all levels of the Organization.
|Botanical Garden||SGAE||Waste||Water||Energy||Air and Noise||Security|